Posted by: michael gwanda | 2011-05-24

obesity of child

I need to know how can a 9 yr old girl reduce weight into a normal body. What kind of exercise and what other safe medications can be introduced.

Hi Michael

Honestly, when we are talking about a nine year old, the answer is diet, not even structured exercise and medication. It's the food she eats that is important, unless of course there is a medical condition, but a qualified dietician would be able to asses this and then send her on to a doctor who can perhaps look for those conditions and then treat medically.

But the first step, I believe, is a dietician, have them assess what she is eating and see whether they want to refer to a doctor.

In terms of exercise, play is the best. At the age of 9, she should really just be encouraged to play sport and to be outside, not inactive. If you can achieve that, and control her diet, then I think you'll see progress.

Posted by: Marian | 2016-02-16

I'm looking for some simple graphs on childhood obesity in SA

Reply to Marian