Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2011-01-12

Obesity / Diet

Good day Doctor

Please can you advise me. My husband is 1,71 metres tall and weighs 131 kgs! He is not at all active but wants to lose weight. I have bought various diet pills (including Manna) but everything seems to make him feel ill. He is on chronic medication being Exforge, Ravamil, Ridac and he also takes Centrum. Could any of these tablets have anything to do with his feeling ill?

Is there a diet where he doesn''t have to take a tablet (or exercise - he hates exercise) and if so, please will you direct me to a site or if you can assist, then please do.

Thanks so much.

Kind regards
Jenny

Dear Jenny
Your hubby's present BMI = 44,9, which is in the extra-obese category. Just to get back into the obese category with a BMI of 30, he would have to lose 43 kg. Because he is so very overweight and probably can't really exercise at this point, I would like to urge you to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to assess his food intake and make recommendations as to which type of diet or procedure such a bariatric surgery could assist your hubby. Bariatric surgery may be the best solution to assist your hubby to lose such large amounts of weigh. Contact the Bariatric Centres of Excellence in regard to having a gastric bypass to assist weightloss. You can contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: jana@pharmacallcc.com or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at www.netcare.co.za to discuss this option. Once your hubby starts losing weight and becomes more mobile, he could consider swimming as an option for exercise.
I do hope that you will consult a registered dietitian so that she/he can assess your hubby's situation and help you make the correct choice so that he can achieve weightloss before his weight endangers his health.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-01-12

Dear Jenny