Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2011-04-28

Obesity affecting my health

I''m 23, 106kg->  The heaviest i''ve ever been. My weight has never been constant due to changing schools, depression, drugs, prozac,fluotine,epilums,coffee, smoking, work. Baby is 7months old, picked up 15kg since then, been told its from the Petogen Injection. Injection never affected me this way before. I don''t smoke, drink very little coffee. My digestive system is messed. Takes a whole day for my body to digest. I wake up in the morning still feeling full from the previous day. I crave and eat and eat all the time. I cant change my contraceptive. So what can i do? I bought Kelloggs Special K and Zumba DVDS. But it lasts half a day then i eat normal food again. I have no energy, always tired and i get heart palpatations. I''m at home with a baby and writing exams next week, so i''m extra stressed out with food everywhere nd rest of the family eat unhealthy around me.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Lisa,
I don't know how tall you are, so cannot place your weight into accurate/specific perspective. However, I must assume that with your weight in excess of 100 kilograms that you are likely obese in weight category. It sounds like you struggle with comfort or binge-eating in response to anxiety/stress. It would probably suit you well to start keeping a food journal and write down what you are eating or what you would like to eat in a day. You should also be conscious of when you are stresssed and keep a record of it in your journal. I suggest that you seek some professional dietetic advice so thast your daily intake is assured of being moderate and that you do not attempt to go on a very restrictive diet and damage your metabolism. As far as your emotional eating is concerned, you would benefit from some counselling, but start with the journal keeping. The bottom line is that you should try and maintain a moderate way of eating and exercising and allow for your weight to correct itself slowly. Be realistic about a goal weight and try to not focus too much on weight loss, but rather on a correct and healthy lifestyle.
Regards,
Graham