Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2011-12-13

Obesity

Dear Doctor, My husband is very overweight (137kgs). He has WPW and mild emphysema, is short of breath so is unable to do exercise. Please, please can you advise me on how he can lose weight (especially around his tummy area). Also could you let me have a diet (or refer me to one). He is 65 years of age. Thank you so much. He is on the following medication Ridaq and Exforge.

Dear Jenny
If you husband is 137 kg overweight and suffers from WPW (Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome) and mild emphysema, then it is essential that he should consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to compile an individual slimming diet prescription for your hubby which takes his medical conditions and medications into account. Because of his multiple medical problems, your hubby's weightloss needs to be carefully supervised and his current status assessed by the dietitian.
I do hope that you hubby will start losing weight.

2
Posted by: Jenny | 2011-12-14

Dear Doctor

Thank you so much for your reponse. Much appreciated.

Kind regards

Jenny

Reply to Jenny
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-12-13

Dear Jenny