Question
Posted by: charlotte | 2010-04-13

obesity

my 9 year old daughter is developentally delayed and she is on medication(RISPERDAL) to calm her down. My major problem is that it gives her too much apetite - she has been on medication since 2007, her weight gain is abnormal- she is not active at all - i sometimes take her for a walk that does not help either-please advice -

Dear Charlotte
I am sorry to hear that your daughter is having these problems. Childhood overweight needs to be treated by a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because it is essential that your lassie has an individual diet plan worked out for her. The diet should assist weightloss, but still provide her with all the essential nutrients she requires to grow and to be healthy. I think it is also important to discuss this excessive weight gain with the dr who is treating her because it may be possible to change the medication. Although she may not be very willing to participate in any form of exercise it is very important that she should do some activity every day for at least an hour if possible. Explore the possibility of taking her for swimming lessons or even to a gym so that she can become more active. Experts agree that physical activity is one of the most important factors is controlling childhood weight gain.
Holding thumbs for both of you

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-04-13

Dear Charlotte
Holding thumbs for both of you