Posted by: Anonymous gal | 2009-08-31

I know I am a comfort eater and this habit has led me to be really fond of certain foods- all the wrong ones. I know that I should love myself enough to feed myself to be healthy rather than living to eat and I having studies healthy eating very thoroughly.
I think it is a control thing- when I am home alone with all the adult children and the husband out,I often think " now I can do exactly what I like"  and that thought makes me very happy. So then I sing and dance in the house, walk around naked indoors, roll in the grass with the dogs (clothed- I am not a pervert!),spend whole days pottering in the garden, play Strauss really loud, draw pictures just for fun...and buy a selection of yummy foods just for me, to eat while i curl up with a good book or an absorbing medical drama or nature documentary,
I have found that certain things go together reading/tv=coffee=food=reading/tv and coffee=food..etc
I actually don' t enjoy eating in front of other people- I feel self-conscious and unable to enjoy it.
my style is generally cramped in the presence of other people.
How can I find out where the root of all this is and how to fix it?
I just can' t reach that point. Don' t tell me to get counselling- our med aid allowance for psychologists etc is used up by another member of the family who believes in having a shrink permanently- a luxury that I consequently can' t afford.

ut aon

Isn't it such a pity that the healthiest of foods seem not to be so comforting ? All of your other ways of pampering yourself and feeling good, sound wholesome, except for the selection of edible treats. Couldn't you try to both NOT stock the fatty snacks, and to convert to convincing yourself excllent treats are fruit and veg snacks ?
And a trouble with the common pattern of eating while watching telly or reading, is that one isn't really concentrating on what one is eating, but devouring on autopilot.
CBT would help to change these bad habits --- it is effective at changing bad habits of behaviour and assumptions / thought. "Getting to the bottom of it" actually never helps --- often there is nothing specific at the bottom of such behaviours, just behaviour that has become habit and which needs to change.
ANd tell that other family member to stop being so irresponsiblt selfish --- if they are indulging in large amounts of interminable therapy and counselling, it is obvious they are seeing a shrink who exploits them and isn't competent at modern, effective, brief and efficient therapy