I' ve always been strong and healthy all my life but after finishing my tertiary education and started working, my weight has been giving me headaches, I' ve gained weight so much that I' ve lost confidence in myself, I' ve tried all, gym,diets etc but I failed. Please help

Sometimes, as we gain qualifications and move to better paid jobs, out life-style and diet changes, and we gain weight because we don't exercise as much, and can afford less healthy foods. In the end, only exercise and proper diet works, though not rapidly. Ask our Dietdoc, and work with a local good dietician, to work on a good plan FOR YOU, rather than a commercialized global plan.
Maybe some sessions with a counsellor could check whether there are relavant personal isues, such as low self-esteem, or even depression, adding to a tendency to over-indulge in comfort foods, etc

Posted by: lady nina | 2009-05-13

hi there

i thnk diets faill most of the time because our experience is negative towards ourselves and the diet - and where there is a negative emotion it just attacts more negative emotions such as fear. shame and guilt.

you have to start loving yourself as you are and realize that you are at all times doing the best you can to cope with life, give yourself some credit for the good things you do in life and realize that eating wrong was a way you met your needs such a s fear/ loneliness eg. it good that you have the ability to meet those needs, but eating is not the best way of doing it, find another way to meet your emotional needs.

mostly be kind to yourself, treat yourself as you would your best friend

once you get to a more positive place you can move forward and as i believe you will attract more of the good things

now you just need to see healthy eating as being good to yourself , take care of yourself and not depriving yourself of something that is good for you

Alot of mind changes has to happen before or while you do healthy eating - no way you will succeed without the change first happening inside yourself

take care and remember to be kind to yourself

Reply to lady nina
Posted by: Liza | 2009-05-13

You only truly fail when you give up. Since you say diets and exercise hasn' t worked, you should perhaps go and see the doctor to have some thyroid tests done. The problem could be hormonal.

If that does not work, you will have to try exercise again and a sensible eating plan. I don' t believe in ' diets' . They never work in the long term. A dietician could help work out a healthy eating plan for you.

Good Luck

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Lee | 2009-05-13

Shame man. The only thing that i know works is Gym and the right diet. i never was a big person but i know if you work hard on it, you will definately see the results. I have recently given birth to a baby boy, i gained 18kg during my pregnancy but i have lost all of it and more because of diet and gym. So stick it out, it will work :-). Good luck ne.

Reply to Lee