Posted by: Atlas | 2009-03-30

Obese pooch

My Jack Russel is a eight years old male and seriously over weight (14/15kg). (Like owner, like dog!) What diet products and/or programs would you recommend? How much do they cost and where can I get these programs/products?

Dear Atlas

The best food and advice are available at your vet. It may be worth checking the thyroid levels as well.

Posted by: WR | 2009-03-31

Yeap - feed less walk more. Although - IMO you can actually immedialtely cut down say a 1/4 of the amount you are overfeeding immediately, and then take the rest down gradually. If i see that Fifi is picking up weight, I just feed her half her usual intake for a day or two, and then adjust back to almost normal amounts - and then we hit the road....!  -)

If you feel the need to give treats - take a perceentage of her daily allowance of dog kibble, and give that as the ' treat' . - NOTHING else, until Mr. is back in shape. You really WILL be adding YEARS to his life!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-30

Feed less. Get special food for ' senior'  dogs, it' s got fewer calories. Dont cut down overnight - read on the packet how much the dog SHOULD be eating, and bring down the quantity to the correct amount over a couple of weeks. Do not feed treats, and if you absolutely HAVE to, make them tiny little itty bitty ones.

It' s not easy, they look at you like you' re a dog molester or something - but do it, you could be giving him years of extra quality life!

Reply to Chill