Question
Posted by: Mama | 2010/11/15

Obese-Pcos-Thyroid

I''ve been overweight from when I can remember. Okay I was not aware og kg &  they should be but people generally said I am big. At varsity I decided to each healthy and do some running. Shed almost all the extra kilos. end of varsity came, moved to new town when I didn''t feel safe running, the kgs came back.managed to lower my weight a bit over the years. The biggest spike was after the birth of my 2nd child 5 years ago. I decided to see a dietician who put me on a balance meal plan. I went back to running and as you may have guesse lokst all the extra kgs (about 20kg). The problem started when I started having dark spot on my torso and feeling a little depressed. GP said it''s stress. To cut a long story short my health detoriated tremendously. Have diagnosis from depression, ME, ulcler - then no it''s not an ulcer. Went to a different dietician who tested me for nuitritional elements and some hormanal stuff. EVERYTHING was too low. Was also told some thyroid hormones are too low and put on medication and advised to see an endocrynologist. She found that my Vit D was too low and put me on supplements. put my self on B comples - after I heard it helped with fatigue. i was sent from pillar to post to say the least. I could not do any exercise due to extreme fatigue. Eventually gynae diagnosed me with PCOS and put me on Glucophage - this was a huge turning point in my health drama (for someone who only saw a Dr for flu before all this). I''ve had another child (about 18 mnths ago) and my weight is at an all time high - 25.6 kg over 2 weeks ago.

My problem in everytime I try to put myself on a healthy path again (food and exercise) I get EXTREMELY tired and have body and joint pain. The amount of fatigue is not proportional to exercise done - I normally just start by walking about 1 km. I have been tested for diabetes and I am not diabetic. I really don''t want to go back to the same dietician as I think whe was not able to help me before - My body should not have depleted so much when I was seeing a professional every 2 weeks.

I have bought a book on how to manage PCOS and following their suggestions roughly - trying to switch slowly this time.

I still have body pain though. Could i be allergic to something?

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Mama,
I wish that bI could advise you here, but this forum is really for eating disorders. I think that you need to persist with a dietcian and make sure that you following the guidelines well advised for your condition. If you are in pain, a biokineticist would best devise you an individualised exercise programme. Despite your challenges and pain, I really admire that you have persisted. Well done and keep trying.
Regards,
Graham

3
Posted by: Mama | 2010/11/16

Hi Hk,

Thank you for the response. I was not aware that body pain is part of the PCOS package. This is hard ''cos I''m trying to loose wait by walking but then I''m in pain the whole day it I walk. Yep, people think we gain weight due to lack of discipline when we try so hard.

I''m trying to follow the suggestion on the PCOS and Infersility book - some people say it makes a difference. They basically say eat like people from 10000 years ago ate all natural - avoid processed food.

thanks for a chat.

Reply to Mama
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/11/16

Hi Mama,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert
Posted by: HK | 2010/11/15

Hi Mama, I leterally feel your pain. I too have PCOS and am obese from being insulin resistant etc etc etc. The pains are normal and will continue. I also have high cortisol levels so my ''joint &  muscle'' pain is generally from both the Pcos &  High cortosol levels. As i''m typing this i feel as though i havnt not had a good nite sleep on a good bead for about 10 years. I''m constantly in pain and tired - some people cannot underatnd what we go through. They think we''re just FAT &  LAZY.....they have no idea what its like to be in constant pain and not know what to do. You cannot pop a pill everyday for the rest of your life. I wish you all the best.

Reply to HK