Question
Posted by: Nicholene | 2011/07/28

Obese!! is surgery my answer?

I have been struggling with my weight since I was a child. I have tried every diet, injections and pills i can think of with no luck. I loose some weight and then pick it up again. With my pregnancy i gained 29kg and ever since I cant lose the weight. I cant play with my little girl(2 years) then Im out of breath. I cant sit on the ground cause my legs dont want to bent! This is really affecting my life, im depressed all the time and dont want to go out anywhere because off how i look. Can someone please help me?

Dear Nicholene
If you have difficulty losing weight and are obese with a BMI of more than 30, then so-called bariatric surgery may be the answer. A gastric bypass or "bariatric surgery" is a rather drastic step, but it can be used to lose large amounts of weigh successfully. You can contact the Bariatric Centres of Excellence in regard to having a gastric bypass to assist weightloss. Contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: jana@pharmacallcc.com or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at www.netcare.co.za to discuss this option.
Remember to discuss the operation and all its effects very thoroughly before you make your decision.

4

Dear Nicholene

Posted by: Lee | 2011/07/28

Great advice Annemarie! Water is key.
Nicholene - set yourself small goals at a time. I lose about 2 kg per month now though in the beginning it was more. I sometimes just hang a skirt that is too small for me over the fridge door on the weekend (I tell my husband it''s part of the decor for that weekend). I dont fit into it yet but come summer - I will. I did the same with my Levis and now they fit. I tell myself just 2 cm off my waist per month even though I still have 6 to go - initially in January I had more than 30.
dont want to lose all the weight by this summer - let''s say 5 kgs by end September - just a little bit off will have you feeling better.

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Annemarie | 2011/07/28

Nicholene

I just printed my diet and want to give you a view tips. Dont think about this as a diet, but think about this as a view positive changes. We all are just human and makes mistakes. Pick yourself up and start again, if you fail.

Also check your Insulen, cholestrol, thyroid once or twice a year.

Try the following:
Full fat and low fat milk to skim milk
The best is to take no extra calories in the form of liquid. Cut fizzy drinks, sweetend drinks and alkohol
Fruit juice must be deluted
Max 3 cups of coffee per day
6 - 8 glasses of water
Try to eat every 3 to 4 hours to get metabolism running and blood sugar levels steady
Add fibre to your diet. Add Oatbran to your serial, yogurt, salads, soups and stew
Change all the yellow cheeses for white like mozzerella
Add omega 3 oils
Reduce the use of salad oils, like mayonaise, salad sauces, cream and gravies
Cut of the fat and skin from your meat
Less oil in cooking process.
Obviously no sweets, chips, take aways, cookies, pastries and all white meal products
Change your white products to brown low gi carbs
Smaller portions and eat slowly.
Drink a glass of water before every meal.

Exercise is key. Like Lee said. Only a bit of walking every day will be a good start.

The Bypass operation is fantastic and life changing. One of my friends went for that. But it cost a lot of money and remember before the doctor operate he will expect you to lose a certain amount of your weight first.

Dont get down. Lift your head up and start your journey.

We also do not believe in any magic pills. Do something that you can manage to do for the REST of your life.

Keep us posted!!!!!

Reply to Annemarie
Posted by: Lee | 2011/07/28

Until the doc replies why dont you try to write down everything that you eat in a day. Every little thing that you put into your mouth and then see what needs to be cut out. Have a look at the diet and nutrition section on the page above.I lost over 20 kilos by being honest with myself. It is a slow process - no quick fixes, no products. A lot of honesty, 30 minutes of exercise (just walking is fine to start), shopping properly and thinking before you eat.
Good luck.

Reply to Lee