Posted by: Marian | 2012-02-29

Obese clinic or doctor

Who can we contact in Johannesburg my nephew is 22 and hip measures 195cm in circumference he needs help and dont know who to turn to can you refer me to someone

Dear Marian
From what you say, your nephew with a hip measurement of 195 cm, needs to lose weight urgently and in large amounts. I would recommend that you contact the Call Centre of the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or visit their Website at for contact details to find out if your nephew is a suitable candidate for so-called bariatric surgery (i.e. gastric bypass, gastric ballooning, etc). You can also discuss the problem of his obesity with a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), if he would prefer using a non-invasive approach. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Weight loss' to read about all the aspects of overweight and slimming.
Holding thumbs for you and your nephew.