Question
Posted by: ADELE | 2011/07/03

Obese but not unhealthy

My BMI is at a shocking 47. But i don''t have any health issues like heart or suger problems, only being very unfit.
I need help to get my weight down drastically but honestly don''t know where to start,
I have cut out sugar and so but as I do not live by myself and work shifts so my diet is not very healthy

Can you help me please!?

Dear Adele
If your BMI = 47, then it would indeed be a good idea to try and lose weight. I am glad to hear that you do not have heart or sugar problems. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise for at least 30 min a day. I would suggest that you start with a non-stressful exercise like walking and do 10 min a day. Then as you start losing weight and get more mobile, you can increase how long, far and fast you walk. It may be a good idea to join Walk for Life, because the trainers will help you with your exercise and also provide encouragement. If you find that you are struggling with the diet, then please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will also be able to give you support and guide you to start eating foods that are low in fat and energy.
Holding thumbs that you will now start losing and change your life for the better.

3
Posted by: Lee | 2011/07/04

Hi Adele

I am also healthy but considered obese with a BMI of 34, I started at BMI 40. It is harder for us to be convinced to lose weight when we look and feel great but I had to realise that complications could suddenly set in when one is this overweight. Annemarie and I are also part of the weightloss forum (see above). I have lost weight gradually and cannot give you better strating advice than Annemarie has given. That is exactly where to start.
Perhaps add and gradually build in 20 minutes cardio - just starting out with walking is good and gradually pick up pace. You will see and feel results much faster.

Best

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Annemarie | 2011/07/04

Hi Adele

Sorry to interfere. Can i make a view suggestions:

Start with the following:

Remove fat and skin from meat
Use less oil in cooking
change yellow cheese to white cheese like mozarella
Cut out take aways, sweets, chips and white meal products
Change to low fat milk
Read labels and try to use less than 5g fat per 100g
Try to change all white products to brown. For example wholeweat pasta and brown rice.
Smaller portion sizes
Cut alkohol intake

Remember we are all working to one goal. Whether you want to lose 5 kg or 50 kg.
I can send you my diet as well if you want to start with something. Let me know. Work out by a dietician.
I am following a low fat low gi diet. Yes i am on and off the wagon. This is unfortunatly a lifestyle change.

I think all of us must make a decision to lose weight and to be healty.

Good luck on your yourney

Reply to Annemarie

Dear Adele