Question
Posted by: adele | 2011/07/03

Obese but not unhealthy

My BMI is a shocking 47 but I don''t have heart problems, cholestrol problems, sugar problems no health issues at all accept for being unfit.

I need to jump start my weight loss can you help?

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Adele,
Although rare, it is quite possible to be in your position, where your weight falls considerably within the morbidly obese category, yet you have none of the common medical complications associated with your weight problem. Most individuals at your weight would likely have one or more of a raised blood pressure, raised cholesterol or type 2 diabetic conditions. It is fortunate that you do not have any of these conditions YET, but your serious weight condition will likely lend to the development of one of these complications sooner or later, unless you start losing weight now. Unfortunately, I have to disagree with your title "obese but not unhealthy", as your weight condition, alone, is a serious matter and is already placing serious doubt on your abilities to live a normal length life. Once well within the morbidly obese category, you are looking at losing an estimated 10 to 20 years off your life, so losing weight now is critically important. So, the question is: How do you lose weight? Well, please do not be tempted into a quick weight loss, fad diet. You need to likely consult with a dietician and be assessed by a biokineticist to have an appropriately safe exercise plan designed for you. Slow is good, as the more steadily you lose weight on a healthy, moderated meal plan, the more likely you will improve your overall health and maintain the weight loss. Another option you may want to consider is bariatric surgery, but you should first exhaust all non-surgical methods of losing weight. I belong to a surgical team that provides such surgery, but we take the attitude of only recommending it as a last resort. Even to qualify, you need to demonstrate that you will be a safe candidate by preparing responsibly under the team for a few months. Let me know if you want to know more.
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2011/07/14

Hello Adele,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert