Posted by: Nel | 2009-04-02

Obese and scared

I have realized for a long time now that I am obese but always have ignored it
Today I used the healthy weight calculator and to my disgust realized that I would have to lose a whole person to be my ideal weight and now that' s overwhelming
I weigh 105 and would need to lose 55kg. The only problem is that I can' t afford to it.
Healthy food is expensive - judging from the eating plans I' ve seen, I can' t afford to go the gym nor buy the some of the equipment (like dumbbells etc) and I know i can definitely not afford to go for surgery.
i know all these are excuses - that I don' t need expensive gym equipment to exercise, walking would suffice but I need guidance and motivation
Can you help?

Dear Nel
You do not need to spend lots of money on expensive foods and gyms to lose weight. You can use an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) which is not based on expensive food choices, and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming) for 30 min a day. Start off by sticking to your diet and going for a gentle walk for half an hour a day. As you get fitter and lose weight you can increase how fast and far you walk in the 30 min. You can then also buy a skipping rope for a few Rand and increase your energy output by skipping for 30 min every second day.
Every journey start with a single step, so take your first step now.