Posted by: Preggy | 2009-01-27

Obese and pregnant

I am currently overweight and just started exercising (aerobics)and joined Weighless last week. Today I found out that I' m 4 weeks pregnant. Now I' m not sure if I should continue with my weighless eating plan and the execising. If I can continue exercising, how long should I do it and what would be the benefits. Please help Doc.

Kind regards

Dear Preggy
Congratulations on your pregnancy! You will need to discuss the fact that you are pregnant with the Weigh-Less instructor because I am not sure if they allow pregnant ladies to continue or if you will have to wait till after the birth. If you cannot continue with Weigh-Less, then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out an energy-reduced diet for you that still contains all the nutrients you and baby need for health growth and development. The question of exercise and what type of exercise you will be allowed to do must be determined by the dr who is overseeing your pregnancy. You don't want to endanger your pregnancy by doing excessive exercise. So talk to Weigh-Less and your doctor before you do anything that may be potentially harmful.
Wishing you all the best for the pregnancy