Question
Posted by: worriedfatty | 2011-12-01

OBESE and maybe DIABETIC

My family (dad''s side) has diabetes and dad, while not on injections, needs to take his tablets every day. With my last child I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I have struggled to lose weight, and my BMI puts me in the obese category. My waistline is fast becoming non existant and I have noticed that my feet are constantly swollen - even though I am drinking lots of water. Is bariatric surgery a possiblity for me? I am 40.

Dear Maybe Diabetic
Bariatric surgery is an option for patients with obesity who have tried less invasive methods of weightloss without success. It must always be kept in mind that such interventions involve a full anaesthetic and invasive surgery. All patients also need to be assessed by the surgeon who is to do the operation. As mentioned in the various articles I have written on the subject, you can either ask your gp to refer you to a surgeon or contact the Call Centre of the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact: jana@pharmacallcc.com or visit their Website at www.netcare.co.za to discuss this option, the potential costs and any associated problems.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-12-01

Dear Maybe Diabetic