Question
Posted by: Paula | 2009-08-03

Obese

Hi there.
I am very overweight. A month ago I weighed 130 for 1.76m. So, I started a diet. I am now 120 and still going strong. These past two weeks I started walking as well. I can'  t walk that fast but I do long walks, about 1-2 hours a day. I stopped smoking as well this week and my diet is between 5000 and 6000kj'  s. I am wondering though, about the walking. I would prefer not to run. I don'  t think I can even do that, so I walk and I realised I enjoy it very much. But is walking good enough to help me burn off fat? I am not looking for the miracle cure, I am planning on taking between 12 and 24 months to lose the weight. As I get fitter I will begin doing more heavy exercises, but for now, is walking a good exercise which will help with weight loss and muscle burning?

Thank you.

Hi Paula

Walking is a great start, and if you enjoy it, then it's perfect. The most important thing is to do it, so I could tell you that some activities burn more energy than others, but that's irrelevant if you are not doing them because you hate them. So always stick with what you enjoy and right now, that's walking. That's not to say that in a few months, as you improve fitness, you won't also be able to start jogging and enjoy it. Or maybe you'll discover a taebo class or something like that, then you'll be able to do that as well, to complement the walking. Some variety further down the line will be helpful, actually.

So keep it up, the diet is crucial, maybe even more than the exercise, and just be careful that as you start to train, you don't compensate by eating more!

1
Posted by: TLD | 2009-08-03

Yes Paula. Walking is very good exercise if you are not able to run yet. Make sure that you walk briskly though, make sure your body knows that its not out for a stroll but that its there to work!

Enjoy it!

Reply to TLD