Posted by: pp | 2009-01-18

oats vs all bran

hi there

I' m trying to cut down my calorie intake and would like to know which would be better for breakfast: oats (cooked with water) or all bran flakes? WHen looking at the carbohydrate content of a cereal, does fibre increase the carbohydrate total (does the fibre increase the calories). What is the lowest sugar that is allowed in a cereal. I' m trying to find a low calorie cereal, but they seem to be calorie rich and high in sugar.

Dear PP
According to the SA Food Tables, 125 g (1/2 cup) of cooked oats contain 83 kcal or 349 kJ, while 30g (typical serving) of All Bran contains 75 kcal or 315 kJ. The oats have a high glycaemic index (GI), while All Bran has a low-GI, so from both the GI and the energy content point of view All Bran may be a better choice. Dietary fibre content does contribute to the energy content of a food, but the energy content of the All Bran flakes already makes provision for this. I am not aware that there is a minimum sugar value specified for cereals. You can use either of these breakfast foods as they are both low in energy (a 30 g serving of All Bran provides 5% of your daily energy intake when slimming, while 125g of cooked oats provides 5,5%, both of which are low contributions).
If you eat these breakfast foods with fat-free milk and don't add any sugar, you will have a low-energy breakfast.