Question
Posted by: Nicola | 2008/10/23

Oats, carrots &  GI

Dear Dietdoc, I want to embark on a low GI diet, mostly to up my energy levels (which are a bit low at the moment), but also to loose 10kg. I see that Oats and carrots are both high GI, while I always thought these are healthy foodstuffs. I normally eat about 30g of Oats, microwaved with water, and slightly sweetened with sweetener or half a teaspoon of brown sugar. I also like Woolies'  raw carrots. Should I now cut these from my diet?

Dear Nicola
We cannot just judge foods on their GI. Oats are very healthy because they contain a lot of soluble fibre that helps to lower blood fat levels. Carrots on the other hand contain plenty of beta-carotene a powerful antioxidant. So please don't cut out all high-GI foods like the oats and carrots. You can combine the oats with fat-free milk or yoghurt to lower the GI of the meal and serve the carrots with a meal that has a low GI (e.g. Pasta made from Durum wheat with lean mince and fresh carrot salad).