Posted by: Cirrie | 2009-05-18

Oats &  Rye

Hi Doc! Please inform me if oats and rye are also in the " wheat"  category. I' m allergic to Wheat and Corn. Thanx.

Dear Cirrie
What you need to know is if you are specifically allergic to "gluten" which occurs in wheat, rye, oats, barley, spelt, kamut, and titricale, or if you are allergic to another protein in wheat and corn (maize)? I suspect the latter, but I would recommend that you contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: to find out if your being allergic to wheat and corn will also make you allergic to oats and rye. If you were told that you have a gluten allergy then you will probably also have to avoid oats and rye, but should be able to eat maize or corn.