Question
Posted by: margie | 2009/12/02

Oats

How much oats must I have for breakfast, the diets always suggest grams is that dry oats or cooked, but who wants to measure before you cook something, I would like to know if a cup of cooked oats will be ok in the morning, cause I can eat a lot of that at one sitting.

Dear Margie
You can eat a cup of cooked oats for breakfast with low-fat milk or yoghurt. The dry weights suggested in some diets (e.g. 35g - like the Oats so East packs) are usually referring to instant oats, etc. 1 cup of cooked oats weighs 250 g which contains 685 kJ, while 35 g of dry oats contains 615 kJ when mixed with water to make a cup of porridge.
Enjoy

1

Dear Margie
Enjoy