Posted by: Oats fan | 2009-07-07

I love eating Jungle Oats in the morning, sometimes for breakfast as well as for lunch but I am wondering if this is OK since I am trying to loose weight?

Dear Oats Fan
Oats are an excellent food because they are rich in soluble dietary fibre that helps to prevent heart disease. If you have the oats together with low-fat or fat-free milk or yoghurt then this not only will provide you with at least half of your calcium intake for the day (calcium helps for weightloss), but also lower the GI of the oats and prevent you from getting hungry. I must, however, point out that even when you are slimming it is a good idea to eat a varied, balanced diet to ensure that you don't develop nutrient deficiencies. For this reason you should also make sure that you eat oats which have been fortified with iron and vitamins if you continue to have them at 2 daily meals.