Question
Posted by: Jenn | 2008/06/30

oat flour

If I put raw whole-rolled oats in the food processor and make 'flour' that I use in my baking, will the oats still retain as much benefit as if I were to eat them whole? I've heard that there is some benefit in the process of your body breaking down the oat and getting to the bran inside. Is this true?
Thanks, cheerio

Dear Jenn
You can mill your own oat flour as described without losing any of the nutritive benefits. Although the oat bran will be in a finer form and thus more easily digested, this should not have an effect on its function as a cholesterol-lowering nutrient.
Enjoy