Question
Posted by: Andel | 2010/06/28

Oat Bran

Hi doc, hope you had a nice break.
1. Which do you think is best to take to stay regular? Dried fruit or a teaspoon of oat bran in morning with oats. I do suffer from candida. I was told not to eat any wheat (which help to stay regular e.g. all bran flakes) or sweets for this but am not sure if dried fruit might have some effect on this fungul problem I have. 2. Will oat bran have a negative effect on my weight as I heard that it might make me retain water or pick up weight.
3. Is it true that when fruit are eaten together with food, it might cause gas/wind in the stomach?
Sorry about the 3 questions at once.
God bless

Dear Andel
I had the most amazing break! No need to apologise for the 3 questions - just check how many the last Reader asked me! I feel exhausted already! Anyway, 2 -3 tablespoons of cooked dried fruit will assist with regularity, as will 2 tablespoons of oat bran (1 t is probably too little). I do not think that oat bran will have a negative effect on your weight because it will not make you retain water. The dried fruit/oat bran has the potential to cause winds if you suddenly start eating large quantities thereof. So if you are going to increase your dietary fibre intake you should do so slowly. Start off with 1 teaspoon of dried fruit/oat bran per day for about 3 days until your system is used to it. Then graduate to 2 t a day for 3 days, etc. Until you reach the 2 - 3 tablespoons a day. The body needs to adjust to the higher fibre intake. It may also help both your constipation and the Candida to use probiotics (beneficial microorganisms) like Bifidoflora (constipation) and Vagiforte Plus (Candida). You can buy these probiotics at health shops.

1

Dear Andel