Question
Posted by: Francis | 2008/08/14

OA and Weight Bearing Exercise

I am 55 years old and have OA in my knees. I have had both knees " scoped"  and the cartilages " trimmed" . I suspect I also have mild OA in my other joints, ie shoulders &  hips. If I go on a long hike I have knee pains afterwards. I also exercise using weights at gym and have noticed that my shoulder joints get a little tender. I am keen to keep on doing this form of exercising. May I continue to do so, or is it bad for me and should I convert to alternative exercises?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Francis
The position on exercise is that if you experience pain, slow down or stop. Walking is very good for OA, but like most things in life, moderation is the key! I am definitely not telling you to stop, but listen to your body. If it is just a nice burning sensation in the muscles, it is OK. Keep on doing what you are doing, but if it causes unbearable pain, slow down.