Posted by: Paul | 2009-04-14

O3 - Ozone

Good day.

I recently heard about this new roduct on the market called a ozonator witch takes normal O2 oxygen and convertes it to O3. It is said that this is good for your health etc. How is this good and whast exectly does it do for your health and your boddy

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

I would be very cautious about using home ozone devices. Can you give me some more info about this product (there are different types calling themselves ozonator)? Using ozone to purify water may be appropriate, but I would avoid any device that claims to purify air or to have health benefits.

Ozone therapy devices have not been shown convincingly by reputable studies to result in positive health effects. There is some anecdotal evidence that they work, but this is controversial and not sufficient for most conventional medical bodies to endorse them.

Ozone therapy as used to treat cancer and other conditions has also not been shown to be effective to a reliable degree, and the risks are of concern to many medical scientists.

At a certain concentration in the air, ozone can in fact have negative health effects, of which lung damage is one. At higher levels, ozone can reduce the levels of certain pollutants in the air - but then it can also react with other molecules to produce more pollutants. The chemistry of atmospheric ozone is highly complex and not fully understood; at high levels in the lower atmosphere ozone is considered a pollutant, and is a component of smog.

However, with the ozonator and other similar devices, the levels produced are likely to be quite low, in which case it's unlikely to do harm - but then it won't have any effect on air quality either and will be just a waste of money.

Posted by: Paul | 2009-04-15

Well this machine is used within your bath, it has a mat that you place in the bath and then lie in there while it works.

Reply to Paul