Question
Posted by: MOM101 | 2009-10-21

O

According to doctors children should get otoplasty, the sooner the better (from 4yrs). Im concerned about the psychological effect on my daughter, 5yrs. She is not aware of it yet, but could be teased about her protruding ears later on. If we let her have the op now. What would she think? How do we explain such an operation? regards.

OK, Otoplasty's are obviously not my field. I don't quite understand your statement, but NO sensible doc other than a disgraceful quack would suggest that ALL kids should have otoplasty or any other surgery without very strong reasons for surgery in an individual case.
Presumably you mean that if it is indicated for good medical reasons, then doctors recommend that it be done early rather than late ?
That makes some sense. But I'm still not keen on the idea of surgery "solving" a potential problem that might not actually arise.
If your daughter has protruding ears of a degree you really think will or could cause teasing, I suppose the operation is worth considering. But it sounds as though at present you are more bothered about her ears than she is, and apparently other kids have not made it a problem for her, so far.
WHy not just some time, while sitting and chatting comfortably with her about things in general, raise the topic of having rather prominent ears, and mention that some kids find eventually they worry about this and get teased about it, and has she ever bothered about it ? Find out what she thinks.

2
Posted by: Really Cybershrink as Admin side has meltdown | 2009-10-21

I am posting this from the public part of the forum as the admin side seems to have melt-down.
OK, Otoplasty' s are obviously not my field. I don' t quite understand your statement, but NO sensible doc other than a disgraceful quack would suggest that ALL kids should have otoplasty or any other surgery without very strong reasons for surgery in an individual case.
That makes some sense. But I' m still not keen on the idea of surgery " solving"  a potential problem that might not actually arise.

Reply to Really Cybershrink as Admin side has meltdown