Question
Posted by: Cyclist | 2008/10/27

Nutrition during races, losing energy

I started cycling about 2 months ago, I am obese at 120kg 1.65m. I am currently on the Sureslim program, and I' m losing a lot of weight. They reccomend that I don' t exercise now, but I started the exercise plan and I' m finally getting fit and it feels great, I do not want to stop.

During the cycling races, I do not know what to eat or drink, as I follow an all natural diet, I do not take any supplements, or anything artificial, this is crucial to my diet.

The average race I' m currently doing is 50km, but I am doing the 94.7 in a few weeks, and I do not know what is the best way to keep my energy levels up during the races.

How much, how often and which natural food sources do you reccomend I eat during the race, as the races do take a few hours to complete and I notice that I lose energy when I' ve been cycling for approx 2 hours?

Thank you very much for your help!

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Wow! You are tough! To eat a high protein diet while exerting yourself to such extremes is not necessarily a good thing.

You will need about 60 -75 carbs per each hour of training / racing – thus make sure that you take along energy drinks that contain fast and slower releasing carbohydrates and a bit of protein to sustain you. These products are not unnatural – they are in fact liquid food and are just what you need! At most you can eat some oats and yoghurt before the race and take dried fruit and peanut snack with you if you feel like munching something.
Don’t be foolish – look after yourself!

Good luck with the 94.7 – let me know how it went!

Vanessa

1
Posted by: Hattie | 2009/01/19

Female age 52, weight 94kg, height 1.72 -high blood pressure and uses Natrilix 1.5mg. I cycle 20km 3 times per week. Sundays 30 - 35km. Before cyling I eat wholewheat pronutro (2 heaped Tbls). Enegade during the race and water. After about 30km I get pins and needles all over. I feel faint and sometimes nasuea. During excercising I sweat profusedly. After excercising I am tired the whole day. I have started to drink a protein shake when done which helps a lot. I drink lots of water to replace fluids lost. I dont know what program to follow to loose wieght and feel good. I try to eat balanced every day. My last trip was 65km in which I had to rest 3 times on the last 30km with these symptoms. If you could reccommend a good sports nutritionist in my area.
Thankyou.

Reply to Hattie