Question
Posted by: Shawn | 2008/06/28

Nutrition during bulking and HIIT cardio

I've run into a bit of confusion regarding HIIT. There is alot of conflicting info in this subject/

I share the characteristics of an endo/mesomorph. Basically I build quickly and look pretty athletic. I wouldn't say my metabolism is fast but it's not slow either. I'm still prone to gaining fat if I'm not careful.

I'm 5' 11" and weigh 98.4kg. I wasn't too lean when I started the bulk.

Now I've heard about HIIT training. From what I understand it is a good way to burn the excess body fat while sparing muscle. I've also read that while bulking and doing HIIT nutrition should be the same as while lifting. I'd ideally like to bulk while keeping fat gain to a minimum.

Do you think it's a good idea to do HIIT while bulking?
Are there any nutritional considerations whille perfoming HIIT during bulking?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Shawn

Bottom line is you cannot effectively loose fat and gain muscle at the same time – as loosing fat has to do with a reduced calorie (energy) intake and growing muscle the opposite. This said your starting point should be calculating your body’s energy need –then reduce your intake with 500-100 calories per day until you are content with your body fat – then only do you increase it to 15% above your energy need for muscle gain. Divide those calorie needs into 6 meals per day with at ratio of 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat of which 2/3 should be good fats. Remember to take liquid food before, during and after training – if you trained very hard you will need to up the carbs at this point. When you return to a maintenance plan you change the ratio to 50, 30, 20. If your muscle gain is not sufficient to your liking – increase the calories by about 100-200 calories per day in the same ratios till you find the balance point.

HITT training is excellent as it increases your metabolism that ultimately burns more fat and it increases your fitness. Cardio is obviously the best way to burn fat and obviously the more you do of it the faster you will burn your excess body fat especially if coupled with a sensible diet. I do recommend that you always do 2-3 HITT trainings per week as it keeps the body healthy and fit – if you are worried that it will eat into your muscle just supply the body with more energy (calories) to fill in the difference. Balance is everything!

Good luck!
Vanessa