Question
Posted by: Lynne | 2010/02/18

Nutrition

Hi, I am a 49 year old woman and have exercised my whole life. I go to a personal trainer three times a week - before my hour with him I run 4 - 5 kms and then try to fit in 5 kms runs in between, although I am planning to up my distance as want to run a 21km in July. The problem is I feel I need some supplement or something as lately after exercising I could cheerfully lie on my bed as I feel really fatigued and lacking in energy. What should i be taking. I only take a multivitamin every day as well as flax seed oil. Your thoughts would be appreciated. (perhaps it is just old age)

Hi Lynne

I think supplements are less likely to be the answer than energy in the diet. Fatigue and failure to recover after exercise can be caused by a deficiency in vitamins or minerals, yes, but it's much more likely to be caused by the food you're eating. Specifically, a lack of energy to replace what you're using during training is the culprit, and that's what you need to assess.

Are you getting in enough carbs and total energy each day to allow full recovery? Also, do you eat at the right times to allow you to recover, and do you eat the right meals at the right times?

I'd love to answer these questions for you, but only you can, and only with the assistance of a dietician, because there are too many nuances in the diet to give a one-size fits all answer. The basic answer is that if the diet is not high enough in carbs and total energy, then exercise will cause excessive fatigue.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/02/23

Hi Lynne

Reply to fitnessdoc