Posted by: s | 2008-11-30

nutrirional value

I' ve recently discovered how yummy a salad made of crabsticks and chickpes is. I use about 3 crab sticks, half a can chickpeas (handful of butter beans if I can' t find chickpeas) with less than a teaspoon of butter, half a pinch of salt and black pepper. How nutritional is that as I know cannd foods usually have hidden dangers in them. P.S the chickpeas are in brine

Dear S
The tasty chickpea and crab salad you mention is high in nutritional value. The crab sticks and chickpeas are sources of animal and plant protein, while the chickpeas are rich in dietary fibre. Both foods contain plenty of protective nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Most canned foods do not contain "hidden dangers". All that can happen is that the soluble vitamin content (vit C and the B complex vitamins) of the canned food can be moderately reduced by the canning process because it involves exposure to heat. If the chickpeas are canned in brine and taste very salty then you can rinse them with water to remove some of the salt if you want to reduce the salt content.