Question
Posted by: MJ | 2012/04/03

Nutricosmetic Skincare versus external skincare (like creams)

Hi doc,
I''ve been doing a lot of research lately and seems Nutricosmetic skincare (internal skincare) is quite the buzz in the international scene. I don''t seem to find much about this locally.

I have found one though, mireica.co.za. It''s a bit expensive, but the way I see it, we take all sorts of supplements for just about everything, except for our biggest organ, our skin. If you read through the ingredient list on their website, you soon realize the benefits of internal skincare...

As far as I understand, the product nourishes your skin stem cells, which basically creates all your other skin cells, all while being 100% Natural. Is there anything else on the market that has the same benefits but applied externally (in other words a cream) that is also 100% Natural? As far as I know there''s no cream that works that deep down in your skin?

I think even if there is, it would be much easier and quicker (and probably cheaper) to drink something, than to have to apply it to your whole body?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi MJ, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay with my response but I was away attending an overseas congress.

This is an interesting question but a difficult one to answer with 100% certainty from a scientific view point as there are no true double blind randomised studies that exist to indicate the true benefits on skin cells (including stem cells). One would have to take biopsies before starting these oral neutri cosmetic ingredients and exclude all other potential influencing effects on the skin before deciding on their true effect. I have checked the list of ingredients and can’t see anything that will do any harm so one could definitely try them. Other possibilities to look into include Solal’s range or the Patrick Holford range.
Your best approach would be to combine topical with oral as the skin does need an SPF, exfoliation of the dead outer layer, and moisterization.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2012/04/17

Reply to anti-ageing expert