Question
Posted by: Zahara | 2011/01/10

Nut Allergy

Yesterday I had a peanut brittle (like many times before) and within minutes I developed itchiness and redness with bumps on my face , arms and legs.

I realised that these symptoms was due to some allergic reaction. I then had a glass of milk in the hope that it would alleviate it and in the end I think it did minimalise the itchiness.

I was quite worried and puzzled, as I''ve never experienced this before and I''m quite a peanut butter fan.

I would appreciate your guidance in this matter. Is there something to be concerned about? Shoudl I see a doctor?

Not sure what to do.

Zahara

Dear Zahara
It is possible that the peanut brittle you ate caused an allergic reaction. The problem with this type of allergy is that the patient can eat a specific food for many years and then suddenly develop symptoms because the level of the anti-allergic compounds in the body have reached a trigger level. Because nut allergies can be dangerous I would recommend that you do see a medical doctor and ask him/her to send you for allergy tests with emphasis on allergy to peanuts and other nuts. If you should be allergic to peanuts and other nuts then you will need to avoid them and all foods that contain such nuts. Also discuss the measures you may need to take if you have got a nut allergy such as carrying an antihistamine with you in case of inadvertent exposure.

2
Posted by: Zahara | 2011/01/11

Thank you very much for your guidance Diet Doc.

I''ll be sure to have the allergy tests done.

Best regards,

Zahara

Reply to Zahara

Dear Zahara