Posted by: Jax | 2013-01-29

Nursing an injury

Im a 40 year old female who plays squash at least 4 times per week. Got my first ever sports related injury on the squash court last week and tore my inner calf muscle. I am seeing a physio for treatment. I would like to know what food or supplement can I take to speed up my recovery (I''m out for 6 weeks) and/or strengthen my muscles in the future so that there is less chance of this incident repeating itself?

Dear Jax
I am sorry to hear that you have torn your inner calf muscle and that you will be out of commission for 6 weeks. If you are already eating a balanced diet that contains 2-3 servings of high quality protein (lean meat, fish, eggs, milk and dairy products, or legumes) and plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, which are rich in protective nutrients, you will not need to take additional supplements, etc. The human body needs time to heal and it would be dangerous to force yourself to become active before you are declared fit by your orthopaedic surgeon.
Take it easy