Question
Posted by: Purple | 2010/03/10

numerous quetions in prep for second pregnancy

We''ve started trying for a second baby and I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it safe for me to continue taking 5mg Cipralex while pregnant or while trying?
I''m on it at the moment, however, during my last pregnancy I had depression and after baby born I had bad baby blues and then got post natal depression. I know my gynae is keen for me to go onto anti depressants when pregnant again, but when I last saw him I wasn''t pregnant and we were only just thinking of maybe in the future trying, so I wasn''t able to ask.
I''ve tried so many anti depressants and just put on so much weight, where as I don''t seem to suffer from any side effects on this one and I''m not putting on weight - I''ve finally found one that seems to agree with me.

2. I take primeve plus as it stops me getting headaches when I menstruate (finally after 3 years of headaches with my period I found a simple answer - magnesium and evening primrose oil - even if it is just a placebo effect, I don''t care, I guzzle these pills down as I don''t get headaches with my period when I''m on them)
-Can I continue to take these up until I fall pregnant?

3. During my last pregnancy I was very breathless and gynae put me on chelapreg vitamins because of the iron. I tend to suffer from anemia generally and about 8 months ago had venofir transfusions.
I know that an overdose of iron is quite dangerous, so can I take chelapreg again or should I choose one of the other pregnancy vitamins that doesn''t have lots of chelated iron in it?

4. I''ve heard people comment that they recover quite well from a first natural birth but that the second one seems to lead to urinary incontinence. Was that just their experience or is the risk genuinely greater with a second birth? (I had a forceps birth first time and have not had any incontinence problems except for the first few weeks when my pelvic floor muscles were recovering, but I believe that is quite normal).

5. Due to my age and only having one fallopian tube because of a previous ectopic pregnancy, if I battle to fall pregnant I know that I''m going to be offered clomid. I will not cope with tiwns or multiples. How much does clomid increase the chance of multiple births?

6. My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage, my second in an ectopic pregnancy, my son was born as a resulst of the third one, but I had to go onto progesterone until 14 weeks. Just to be on the safe side, can I ask the gynae to prescribe progesterone from the start. I have a cousin who only managed to have to children due to demanding she be given progesterone after having ha numerous miscarriages prior to that. Her gynae was very anti the idea though. I''ve read up on it and my understanding is that although in theory it increases the chances of babies that would have naturally aborted because of deformities etc, in practice, there isn''t a higher rate of malformed or otherwise abnormal children born in mothers who had low progesterone levels and used progesterone pessaries to prevent first trimester miscarriage. Is there newer research on this (I just have to rely on the internet and baby books for my reading).

Thanks as always for your help. Can''t believe I''ve been visiting this site for 7 years already.

1. The best studied antidepressants in pregnacy are Prozac and amitryptiline. Cipralex is similar to Prozac, so regarded as relatively safe.
2.Evening primrose oil is thought to cause uterine contractions, so not a good idea in pregnancy. Try magnesium only.
3.Chelapreg is fine, especially if you tend to be anaemic.
4.The highest risk for incontinenece is with the first pregnancy and more so if you have had a forceps delivery. If you have escaped it, you are not at greater risk now.
5.About 8% of women on Clomid have multiple births. The chances can be lessened by careful tracking of the cycle with scans.
6.The latest research suggests that progesterone be reserved for women with low progesterone levels, not used in everyone to prevent a miscarriage.

1