Posted by: FOWZIA | 2009-02-11

I feel this numbness in my hands both hands it goes totally dead cant feel a thing. I have to let my hands hang downwards to let it come right again. Sometimes I feel pain in my thumb which travels through my arm upwards wen I try to pick up a saucer or water bottle. I cannot keep my arms resting on the table for too long it becomes numb sometimes i feel pins and needles whenever I lay in bed i have to let it hang down the bedside. I also cannot carry bags for too long or keep something like money in my hand it goes dead. sumtimes it pains alot.

Dear Fowzia
Numbness in the hands are often caused by a nerve being pinched - if on both sides it may be in your neck, due to a collapsed disc of the neck vertebrae. Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition where the nerve to the hand is compressed in the wrist - this usually causes numbness at night when you sleep. The pain you get in your thumb may be due to an inflamed tendon ( you may be over-using this muscle in your daily work - like typing or knitting or baking) One should rather try and find the cause before just taking treatment, as you may need physiotherapy or you may need to see an orthopedic specialist or neurologist, so a good physical examination of the neck and arms by your GP would be the first step.