Question
Posted by: Dale | 2009-10-05

Numbness and low blood pressure

I experience very bad numbness in my arms and legs, especially while sleeping. I cannot sleep with me elbows bent at all or I will wake up with numb arms and have to change position to get the bloodflow back. In winter my hands get very cold and eventually go alarmingly white, with absolutely no feeling or mobility in them, the colour and feeling returns after about 10 to 20 minutes. I often have constant slight skin numbness in my legs and cannot sit in the same position for very long. I have low blood pressure and feel dizzy often. This has been for a couple of years but each year gets a bit worse. I am young, healthy and fit though. Do I need to see a doctor, and if so what tests should I ask for? Thanks very much.

Hallo Dale
The symptoms you describe sounds like a neuropathy. Please have your blood sugar checked for diabetes and ask your doctor to do a full neurological examination to see if there are any signs of compressed nerve roots. You also need to have your thyroid hormone and vit B levels tested.
See also http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/147963.php# for possible causes of neuropathy.