Question
Posted by: Ellen | 2010/11/30

Numbness

I''ve had numbness in my small finger and ring finger on my left hand for about a month. The doctor gave me medication, but it made no difference. I tried going to a chiropractor, which eased it, but after a few days the numbness was back. I was told that I should try to spend less time at the computer, however that is my job, and I need to spend a certain amount of time there. I do move away from the computer every hour or so. I am active...I do workouts before and after work. What do I do next?

Hallo Ellen
This could be due to a nerve pinching at your wrist or at the elbow. Because of its superficial position at the elbow, it is often injured by excessive pressure in this area (leaning on the elbow during work or while driving a car). The other area is at the wrist (Guyon canal)due to swelling of the tunnel through which the nerve runs. Treatment is with anti-inflammatories and vit B6. If no improvement after 6 weeks of treatment or if you find that you have "clawing" of the fingers or weakness (compare your palms - is the muscle mass at the pinky's side bigger one side than the other?) you need to see an orthopod as decompression of the nerve may be needed with a small operation.
dr Bets
)

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/11/30

Hallo Ellen
dr Bets
)