Posted by: steph | 2009-10-31

I recently noticed that the area of skin overlying the spine of my scapula extending to the tip of the shoulder ( for want of a better way to describe it) is numb ! It is the most odd sensation, similair to when a limb "  goes to sleep" . This is the shoulder that I carry my bag on, could this be the cause of this odd sensation? Or would you recommend medical attention?

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Steph,

If it is only numbness in the skin and no pain that you feel the most likely cause is that a superficial nerve in the skin is being compressed. I assume that you have no weakness of the shoulder or arm to support that theory. I agree with you that the direct pressure of a bag over the same shoulder could cause such symptoms and first try to avoid applying that pressure to the shoulder by carrying the bag on the other shoulder. If in spite of that precaution it persists you may then see a neurologist to examine you.

Dr Joe de Beer