Question
Posted by: Just asking | 2011/01/12

Number of gays

Is there any valid estimate of how many people are gay, like in a study or something? 2% or 5% or 22.8% of the population? Why I ask is that some companies want to market their services to niche population groups and gays are potentially one such market. Thanks.

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Just Asking and thanks for posting. There are no reliable stats - people often lie about their sexuality, and just how "gay" would the person need to be in order to be counted? What about someone who is bisexual? Also, many men who have sex with men don't identify with the word "gay", which is seen by many as being unAfrican or Eurocentric.

4
Posted by: Adrian | 2011/01/25

Yes, this is a difficult question to answer. I am in a homosexual relationship, but if someone asked me if I am gay I would probably say no, because I was with a girl before this. I still enjoy girls, I have straight porn and I am sexually attracted to a good looking woman. But I am happy with my man. I''m definitely bisexual. If you''re really asking, what is the percentage of LGBTI people in a community, the figure is usually stated at around 2-5% openly and up to 20% who have dabbled, enjoyed or willingly participated in associated activities.

Reply to Adrian
Posted by: gay, lesbian and bisexual expert | 2011/01/20

Reply to gay, lesbian and bisexual expert
Posted by: LONEWOLF | 2011/01/14

Stats SA. Hehehehe You must be joking. There figures are as suspect as a priest in a gay bar.
Do a google on it and see. As far as I can recall the general opinion internationally is about 10%. That is of course not people openly living as such. In some countries it might be much less (perception) and some more. Then of course there are all those people who fall somewhere in between 100% gay and 100% straight. But about 10% roughly in any given population will be acceptable. A population can mean that of a country, that of a town, a school, a church, a family, whatever reasonable amount of people you put together.

Reply to LONEWOLF
Posted by: Intruder | 2011/01/13

Why not go ask Stats SA if they ever did a survey like that and like all research and survey''s you will never have a Fact only an estimate so why not make your own estimate by going around and asking...are you gay or straight I am sure you will get the results you wish for...

Reply to Intruder