Question
Posted by: MSO | 2012/03/08

Number of days to train

I normally train five to six times a week,four days of cardio and strength training and two cardio only. I am a very strong and fit woman, however i still have fat,even with the muscle showing.
I would like to change my program to six days a week four out of the six,i do cardio in the morning and strength in the evening then two days cardio in the evening only. Is that too much to beat my fat?

Hi MSO

I am not sure just how much fat we're talking here. It would be remiss of me to say that we don't every beat the fat completely. It's a problem more and more as we get older, and that's because our physiology changes - hormones etc drop and it becomes "easy" to store fat. So there may be something in assessing the goal.

Having said that, I think the key to this final "hurdle" is probably more diet, and not exercise. The change you're proposing would work if you could perhaps increase the volume or intensity of the training as a result of this split. So if for example you would previously have done 40 min of cardio, 20 min of strength, you could now do 50 min cardio and 30 min strength (maybe a set more of each exercise). That would help a little. BUt I do feel that diet might be more effective, and I think it might be worth seeing a dietician and looking at what you're eating - little things can sometimes have a compound effect that produces a large result!

Ross

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/03/17

Hi MSO

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: Sabrina | 2012/03/12

You mention only your training days, not your eating habits. Diet is very important especially as you appear to want to lose " fat" . " abs are made in the kitchen" 

Reply to Sabrina