Question
Posted by: Jessie | 2010/07/13

numb toes

Dear Doc,

I am 26 adn in good health, normal weight etc etc. Occasionally (and this is for many years now) I get a numbness in one or two of my toes and sometimes just the very tips of my big toes. Either one or other or both. This usually only lasts a few minutes and goes away, especially with wiggling them. It often happens when i drive, sometimes when i put on boots, once while ice skating. I at first associated with cold, but i don''t think it''s the cold. The other tihng I have is what the physio called neural tension ( i can''t touch my toes without bending my knees else it busns behind my knees - not usual inflexiblity as I''ve danced most of my life), though tihs is no big deal, i''m just meant to stretch.

anyway, does this occasional numbness need to be seen to by a doctor. I''m worried about degenerative neural diseases (no family history).

thanks,
Jess

Hallo Jessie
degenerative neural diseases are usually progressive (would get worse with time) I think that your symptoms are probably caused by pressure on the small nerves running at the side of the toes either due to the activity you do or the shoes that you wear and it is probably not something to be worried about.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/07/13

Hallo Jessie