Posted by: Baffled | 2009-04-22

Numb buttocks when sitting down long

Hi Doc,

I find that when I' ve sat down for a while, I have to get up very slowly as my whole buttocks area seems to be numb. It happened since January this year when I was in a taxi for approx 2 hours to a place and another 2 hours back. I think having sat on those VERY thin seats for so long, caused a problem for me. What is this and what do I do about it? Thanks.

Dear Baffled
I think it is more likely to be caused by pressure of one of the discs in your back on to the nerve roots ( L1-2) when you are in the sitting position. (Could also be due to pressure on the sciatic nerver called sciatica) You may have to ask your doctor to have a look and see if you need an x/ray of the lower back.