Question
Posted by: Motlalentwa | 2012/06/18

NQF Levels

I want to register for ta short course with UNISA which is at NQF level six, the duration of the cours is one year, after completion I will awarded with a certificate, but my worry is some degrees are also peached at NQF level 6 and since I only have a matric will this certificate be recognised because it is almost at the same level with some degrees.

OK, M, this is a question way outside my area of expertise, and it may also depend on WHAT the course is, what its about, and what your long-term career plans are. It seems to me unlikely that any one-year certificate course would be considered equal to any longer degree, but again, itdepends on the subject and the line of work for which you hope it will be recognized.
UNISA ought to be able to advise you, as could someone already qualified and working in the area you are aiming at.
Lisa's response sounds knowledgeable.

4
Posted by: Motlalentwa | 2012/06/19

Thanks guys, I knew that this was not the forum to advise me on this matter, but there''ll always be people that are knowledgeable and will to share

Reply to Motlalentwa
Posted by: Refilloe | 2012/06/18

Hello Liza
please be adivised that the NQF act was amended and brought in some changes which wont affect you in a single way
.
Level 1-5 Umalusi
Level 5-10 FET
Level 5-1-10 Occupation and Trade

The information that you have is no longer available and i do not think that you will encounter problems with what you want to register as long you will be registering in the right college i dont see any problems because you have your matric certificate.

The only problem that you should worry yourself with is to know when and where to register as Unisa itself has number of colleges inside it.

And the short courses are only in Pretoria and Florida all what you need to have when you go for registrations is your certificate,money and information on what you need.Stop worrying about NQF levels let Unisa do that

Reply to Refilloe
Posted by: Liza | 2012/06/18

Do you qualify to attend the short course? Most courses on NQF level six have a requirement that you''ve either already done certain NQF level 5 courses, or that you have enough working experience (usually over 5 years) in the relevant field of study so that you can skip the NQF level 5. Either way, if you qualify to attend, the certificate will definitely be recognised. A short course cannot however be a replacement for a degree. If a certain job requires a certain degree, the short course qualification will not be enough.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza

Lisa's response sounds knowledgeable.