Posted by: Alice | 2010-02-16

Now what

My daughter was depressed end of last year and I finally convinced her to go for counselling through her school, she went for 1 session and it didn' t seem to make a difference.

What else can I do now? What other options are there?

Expert ImageTeen Suicide guest experts

Hi Alice

Perhaps try and find out why your daughter only went for one session? After one session, she may have felt she didn't connect with the counsellor, so it may be worth finding out if she'd prefer to see someone else. If you are on medical aid, that should cover sessions with a psychologist, but if not, there are several NGO's that offer free counselling, such as Famsa and Hope House.

My suggestion is to find out who she does confide in, and whether she has a postitive support system. Encourage sport or physical exercise. Essentially it's important the she is assessed, as you need to know how severe the depression is, especially as teens are very good at masking their symptoms. If it is severe, then even a visit to your doctor may help.

Most importantly, let her know you are concerned and that you want to get her the help she needs.

Kind Regards,

Posted by: Vrye Denker | 2010-02-16

Counselling isn' t a one-session deal. It took me at least eight sessions to understand WHY I was suffering from depression and only after that could we start working how to eliminate it.

Reply to Vrye Denker