Posted by: Linette | 2009-05-05

Nova T - Copper UID

Hi, I went to the Gynie yesterday for my yearly check up. I have been on Nirasterate for almost 5 years. The last year on the injection caused my menstrual migraines to return and thus I asked the Dr about changing my contraception. After a discussion, he suggested non-hormonal methods. He then suggested that I use Nova T - UID. I have done some investigation since then and see that there are a lot of pros and cons. My main concerns at this stage are the following:
1. I am 29 and plan to start having children in 3 years from now. We currently do not have any children. Is this save for me to use and will it not affect my fertility?
2. Cramps and excessive bleeding - This is some of the symptoms which I have read on forums, Is this normal?
I understand that everybody is different but I want to make sure that we choose the correct contraception. My husband suggested that if I have doubts to rather use something else but at this stage there are no other non-hormonal methods except for the barrier method. I would appreciate feedback from anybody who have used this before as well as if its save for me to use it if I have not had any children yet?
Thanks so much for your feedback.

1. As long as you are in a monogamous relationship and not at risk for STDs, the IUCD is suitable.
2. Heavy periods and more painful periods can be side effects of the IUCD, though they do not occur in everyone.

Posted by: Blommie | 2009-06-03

Hi Linette

I got the Nova T in March this year. For me it was the best decision I made. I use to forget to take the pill and condoms is no fun when you are married. I have one child and don' t want any more. I only had mild cramping for the first day and some light bleeding. My cycle changed from 28 days to 30 days. Other than that - I don' t even know it' s there. I went for a 4 week check up - all was well. I only have to go now for my yearly check up and then replacement after 5 years. I now enjoy my sex life without worrying about falling pregnant. I' ll recommend it.

Reply to Blommie