Question
Posted by: Bongi | 2010-02-11

notice period

I have been employed for 5 months on a part time basis at a shop in one of the big shopping malls. When they took me 5 months ago, they had pormised to take me on permanently after 3 months,but all that was verbal, and the permamnet employment never materialised. I ued to work 4 hours on friday evening, 10 hours on saturday, and 8 hours on sunday. Occassionally one of the employees would get sick,or take leave, and i would be asked to cover for them on that particular day. I still have no contract, or document to show that im part of the staff for that shop. I was recently offered a permanet position by another shop in the same mall, and i immediately iformed my current employers that i will no longer be available to them. it was on a monday, and i usually start work on friday evening. They are saying i should give them two weeks notice or they will not pay me for the hours i have woked to date this month. I do not know what the labour laws say about temporary labour, and notice period, and i aslo do not know whether the CCMA can listen to cases from people with no contracts. The only proof that i have that i was ever employed by that compoany is the bank statement of the money they were paying me for the lst 5 months. I wish to know if thereis anything i can do to claim the money that they owe me. I have tried talking to them, and they say they will not listen to me until after i have worked 2 more weekends as notice. Please help, i know the moeny is small but it goes a long way to support me and my young sister.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: NOTICE PERIOD

You certainly are entitled to payment for the hours that you worked to date. You should go to the department of Labour to claim same.

2
Posted by: labour lawyer | 2010-02-26

RE: NOTICE PERIOD

Reply to labour lawyer
Posted by: Whena | 2010-02-15

They are taking a fat chance.

Go and see the CCMA- it costs nothing- take your bank statements with as proof that they did employ you

Reply to Whena