Question
Posted by: Despondent | 2010/04/16

NOTHING WORKS

Hi Doc, Please help me I''m so depressed I''m loosing hope about my weight. I lost control of my weight when I was expecting my baby, she will be 12months this month, I breasfed her until last month when she decided to stop but I still look as if I''m 8 months pregnant. I lost some weight in the weeks after birth but I have regained it three times more. I''ve been exercising 3 times a week for the past three months, trying to eat healthily but I''m still gaining weight. My Doctor did some tests for hormones and she said my progesterone was depleted. She gave me DHEA and 7- Keto but I started feeling jittery, dizzy and my appetite increased as a result I gained more weight. I''m 36 this year, 1.65 meters tall and presently weight 88kg. What could be wrong?

Dear Despondent
I am sorry to hear that you have gained so much weight after your pregnancy. Did your dr also test for thyroid and insulin imbalances? If not, I would recommend that you consult an Endocrinologist (a medical specialist who works with hormone imbalances) so that he or she can do a thorough check of all the hormones that could be influencing your weight gain and which could have been affected by the pregnancy. One other factor that can cause pronounced weight gain is depression (this is also common after childbirth). So if you think that you may also be depressed in general, not just because of the weight gain (although this contributes), then please consult a clinical psychologist who will assess your depression. Ask your gp to refer you to a clinical psychologist.
Holding thumbs that you can pinpoint what is causing your weight gain

1

Dear Despondent