Posted by: Celeste | 2010-03-29

Not your field, but please try!

I know that this is not work related, but I don''t know who else I can ask.

In 2002 when I was 17, my dog had puppies. My father took the dog to the vet, after she had 8 puppies, as she had been in labor for a while without having the remaining puppies. The gave her an injection and on the way home, the two puppies were stillborn.

I did not sign anything, nor did I give my consent to anyone to do anything to my dog. I didn''t work, and am a stay at home mom.

I have now received a legal notice to appear in court (from the sheriffs office)

I would like to know if I am legally obligated to pay the amount (R2640)

Who is responsible, and is there anything I can do. I really don''t have the funds to pay it, and I don''t want to occur any more interest if I have to pay by installments.

Please help!

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: Not my field

I'm sorry I can't advise you on this, I don't have any expertise in this area.

Posted by: Purple | 2010-03-31

I don''t think that at the age of 17 that you would have been responsible for this. Were you living alone and working and supporting yourself or were you still a school girl?

If 8 years have passed since your dog was treated, why are they only making contact with you now?

I think they''re just chancing their luck.

My dad had to take my cat to the vet when I was 18, it might have been my cat, but my parents paid for its food and vet bills. I''ve had no bills for the cats kidney infection from then, my dad paid it.
Have you asked your Dad what is going on?

Reply to Purple
Posted by: JR | 2010-03-30

If you haven''t heard or talked to them since then, the debt prescribed and they cannot do anything to you.

On the other side, under what details did your dad book in the dog in 2002. You were still in school and under their care, I don''t understand how they billed you. Have you spoken to your dad about this?

Reply to JR
Posted by: Shoes | 2010-03-29

Did the vet bill you? Surely your dad should pay. How can they bill you for something from 8 years ago?

Reply to Shoes