Question
Posted by: Balloons | 2010/01/29

Not treated with respect

Hello,

I have a few work issues and I’ m not sure how to go about them without offending anyone or appear rude or anything. I work in a small office (5 or 6 people depending on whether the bosses wife feels like gracing us with her presence). I am the youngest of the lot with the next youngest is 15 years older than me. The one lady is constantly taking my stationary and whenever my bosses buy stationary, she never tells them what she needs. She’ s always asking for my tipex, always doing her filing on my desk because her punch “ punches skew” , she will use a pen of mine by her desk and take it with her and the worst is when her pens run out of ink and she doesn’ t take from the stationary drawer- she’ ll take from me. I mean she took my good black pen last week and then this week wanted to take the new black pen that I just took that morning (to replace the one she took the week before). I’ ve told her countless times that there is stationary in the drawer but she doesn’ t listen. The next is the bookkeeper. She picks up mistakes that I made like a year or more ago and she moans at me for them. The next time she looks at the books she looks at those same mistakes (that were since corrected) and moans at me again. She does this more than once a month because she’ s forgotten she’ s already moaned at me. She is also supposed to run the debit orders, but I must get the information- I must phone the client if there is a problem with the details and we can’ t load his debit order, I must get the amount due and I must get his account number so she can just load it. Then people will ask her for things and she’ ll forward me the emails asking me to do it. She sometimes gets confused when she’ s explaining things or looking for things and when I get confused because I don’ t know what she’ s talking about she gets angry at me because now I’ m being slow. And although I’ ve been working here than the bookkeeper, she doesn’ t trust me with certain information, and nor does my boss. The bank made a mistake with the statements somehow and my bosses personal transactions were added onto one of the statements I work off. They had a huge fit with the bank because now I had seen this statement, even though I’ ve been working here for 3 years and the bookkeeper has been her for only 1 year. Now every time the statements come from the banks they open them to check. I’ m not going to be able to just get another job any time soon and I do work at a reputable company which is nice, but I feel really underappreciated and used. How I get some respect at my offices?

Next time the boss is due to buy stationary, remind him that she always forgets to ask him in time, so he can ask her. Suggest that each secretary is asked in writing to specify what they need each time, and if they don't provide their list in time, they can supply themselves.
And when she asks you for stationary, just calmly say "NO, I need this pen - there should be more in the cupoard if you ordered some. "
When the bookkeeper startsn moaning again about an old mistake, just say pleasantly - "we've alreadt discussed and corrected those problems - is there something NEW I need to deal with ? "
Actually, from your description, it sounds as though the bookkeeper is having serious problems of her own and failing to cope.
Isn't it possible to just have a calm discussion with your boss, explaining that you have some problems you'd like to clear up if possible, and would appreciate his advice and help ?

2
Posted by: Sam | 2010/01/29

I think CS has given you some very good advice there!

Reply to Sam